Gateway School is committed to ensuring that our learning environment is appropriate to maximize the learning potential of the applicant.
Gateway School accepts a student for admission if he/she meets the following criteria:
- 2 through 15 years of age or currently enrolled Kindergarten, or Grades 1-8
- 5 years of age or older on September 1 if seeking admission to kindergarten
- Formal diagnosis or FCI code for one or more of the following primary disabilities: autism, developmental delay, hearing impairment, other health impairment, multiple disabilities, and speech or language impairment
- Present levels of academic performance: 12-18 months through 12 years, Kindergarten, or Grade 1-Grade 8
- Behavioral characteristics such as tantrums, impulsivity, or non-compliance are secondary to the primary disability
- Behavioral characteristics that may refuse admission are self-injurious behaviors, aggression towards others, or serious maladaptive behaviors (high intensity/frequency). Gateway School does not accept IEPs with restraint or seclusion.
- Cognitive/psychological, educational, and/or speech-language assessments/evaluations for students are available for review
Please Note: Gateway School provides a language integrated education program and is not appropriate for as student who is diagnosed as emotionally disturbed and/or with severe intellectual disability. The program also is not appropriate for the student who exhibits significant self-injurious behaviors, aggression towards others, or other serious maladaptive behaviors.
- Education Director reviews referral from the Local School System (LSS), or the application for admission and student records submitted by the parent/guardian.
- Education Director schedules a pre-admission interview or tour with the family.
- Admissions candidate is invited for one or two half-day visits. During the visit, an interprofessional admissions team will observe the child in the learning environment.
- Gateway’s interprofessional admissions team, including but not limited to the education director, speech language pathologist, behavior specialist and/or psychologist, occupational therapist, and special educator, will meet to discuss observations, review criteria for admissions, and determine student’s eligibility for placement in Gateway School.
- The family and/or LSS will be informed in writing.
- Student meets criteria: if there is an opening in an appropriate classroom, the parent/guardian and LSS will be informed in writing. A financial agreement will be forwarded to the parent/guardian for private pay placement OR an annual cost sheet will be sent to the Local School System.
- If the student does not meet the criteria: the parent/guardian and/or the LSS will be informed by writing
- An agreed upon start date will be determined.