MISSION, VISION, VALUES
connecting people to their worlds
a society where everyone can understand and be understood
integrity, compassion, equity
a healthy, impactful, relevant organization
The Speech Readers’ League of Baltimore was founded at The Baltimore League for the Hard of Hearing.
The League began offering social services free of charge and changed its name to The League for the Hard of Hearing.
The League became a member of the Community Fund. For the first time, there was a budget to relocate, expand programs, and add staff.
Gateway School was formed in 1957 and was officially recognized in 1960 by the State of Maryland.
The name was changed to The Hearing and Speech Agency of Metropolitan Baltimore, Inc., and began offering speech therapy services.
HASA moved from Charles Street to Old Goucher Hall on St. Paul Street after completing its first capital campaign.
HASA, in partnership with Maryland Scottish Rite Foundation, established the RiteCare Childhood Speech & Language Clinic. In 1986, The Centralized Interpreter Referral Service (CIRS) was launched. Both still thrive today.
HASA joined forces with several other organizations to lobby for the Universal Newborn Hearing Screening of 1999.
HASA moved to its current location in 2003. The Listening and Spoken Language Program and The Center for Fluency Enhancement were launched on the new campus.
As the organization nears the end of its first century, we continue to evolve. Our very first documentary film was released in 2010 and chronicled four children who were deaf/hard of hearing. In 2016, HASA celebrated its 90th anniversary.