Celebrating Better Hearing and Speech Month
Communication is how we connect and interact with our world. But according to the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, approximately 37.5 million adults in the U.S. have some degree of hearing loss and 7.5 million have a speech disorder. May is Better Hearing and Speech Month, an opportunity to raise awareness about communication disorders and the treatments available.
How do I participate in Better Hearing and Speech Month?
1. Educate yourself. Read blog posts from HASA audiologists and speech and language pathologists to learn more about hearing and speech disorders, when to see a specialist, and the unique challenges of masks and communicating. Read more
2. Spread awareness. To become part of the month-long campaign, you can begin by spreading awareness in your networks. At HASA, we connect people to their worlds. And social media is one of the great connectors. As family and friends are siloed due to the ongoing pandemic, social media has played a unifying role in our greater community. Share your personal experiences or reputable materials from sources you trust about hearing and speech disorders on your social media channels.
3. Get tested. Having your hearing tested at HASA is quick and easy. If you have had your hearing tested, encourage loved ones to get tested as well. You can schedule an appointment online.
4. Follow HASA’s month-long campaign. We are so grateful to our corporate sponsors who have donated to our Better Hearing and Speech Month campaign. We will be sharing the impact of their donations on our social media channels and encourage you to follow along as well.
Follow HASA on Facebook
Follow HASA on Instagram (@hasa.usa)
5. Donate. Did you know that HASA provides service for everyone in our Baltimore community who needs it? We never turn anyone away. But we rely on contributions from donors like you to provide free services for all those who benefit from our clinic, school, and interpreting services. These services are in higher demand than ever as our community navigates limited resources and an increasing virtual world not always built for their success. Donate today.
HASA’s Better Hearing and Speech Month Sponsors
- Goldin Group
- Advance Business Systems
- City Wide Facility Solutions
- Jacob William Advisory